After securing a thumping victory in Uttar Pradesh, the BJP is now in the process of zeroing in on a credible face for the chief minister's post.
According to sources in the BJP, party president Amit Shah and Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh have had a conversation on the possibility of Singh going to Uttar Pradesh as the chief minister.
Party insiders say that a final decision on the CM face for Uttar Pradesh is likely to be finalised by tomorrow.
HERE IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUNT THE UTTAR PRADESH CM RACE:
- Highly-placed sources told India Today that the mandate in Uttar Pradesh is beyond arithmetic and the chief ministerial candidate must be someone who can take all communities along with him.
- BJP president Amit Shah been consulting senior Sangh leaders on the choice for chief minister since the verdict came out on March 12.
- According to sources, Amit Shah had a detailed meeting with senior RSS leader and joint general secretary Krishna Gopal. Krishna Gopal is the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh's point person for coordination with the BJP.
- Senior BJP leaders who are aware of the thinking among the top brass told India Today that the mandate of the people of Uttar Pradesh is so huge that the initial calculations had to be realigned. The BJP won 312 of the 403 Assembly constituencies in the state.
- The BJP top brass had initially thought than an OBC leader could be chosen as the chief minister since the non-Yadav OBCs voted for the party in this election.
- The party, however, now feels that the verdict is so massive that it needs someone who can help the BJP live up to the expectations the voters have placed on Prime Minister Narendra Modi's leadership.
- The BJP leadership is keen on having a senior leader as the Uttar Pradesh chief minister who can fix the law and order problem in the state and fast-track development in the state.
- According to sources, Amit Shah and Rajnath Singh had a conversation on the possibility of the latter going to Uttar Pradesh as the chief minister.
- A final decision on the CM candidate is expected to be taken by March 15. BJP's president in Uttar Pradesh Keshav Prasad Maurya and Minister of State for Communications Manoj Sinha are the other frontrunners for the post of the chief minister.
- Keshav Prasad Maurya is the OBC face of the party and his likely elevation as the chief minister played a role in consolidating non-Yadav OBC voters in favour of the BJP.
- Manoj Sinha is a Bhumihar leader from eastern Uttar Pradesh. The BJP thinks highly of his organisational skills and Sinha has got administrative experience to back his credentials.