Newton box office collection day 1: Rajkummar Rao's Oscar entry impressed critics but not the audience
Rajkummar Rao's newly released film Newton that became India's official entry for Oscars got released on 22nd September. The movie that gained a lot of appreciation for it's plot and acting by the movie critics somehow failed to work well at the box office. The first day box office collection of Newton, according to trade analyst Taran Adarsh was only Rs. 96 lakhs.
The Amit Masurkar directorial movie 'Newton' witnessed ample growth in evening and night shows but not in the morning ones. In the movie Rajkummar Rao has played the lead role of Newton Kumar, a presiding officer by profession and who wants to hold a free and fair election in a Chhattisgarh village despite the threat of Naxalite violence and all-round cynicism.
Newton got released with two other films one being Sanjay Dutt's comeback Bhoomi and other Shraddha Kapoor's Haseena Parkar. Bhoomi managed to start decently on the box office with an opening of about Rs. 4.50 crore. Omung Kumar's directorial Bhoomi shows the relationship between a father and a daughter where the role of father is played by Sanjay Dutt and role of daughter is played by Aditi Rao Hydari.
- Newton's Oscar Nomination: Twitter flooded with B-Town reactions for Rajkummar Rao
- Is India's Oscar entry 'Newton' copied from a foreign film?
- Padmavati: Ranveer Singh cuts off beard to shoot younger Khijli
- Rajkummar Rao bags GQ Actor of the Year Award
- Anushka Sharma finally breaks her silence over opening a restaurant with Virat Kohli