Nepal Tragedy: Here’s What Happened To The 8 Tourists From Kerala

Newsroom
Kerala family

Bodies of the eight tourists from Kerala who died at a resort in Nepal will be flown back to the state on Thursday.

The eight victims, including four children, who were part of a 15-member group, died due to possible asphyxiation in their room at a mountainous resort in Nepal.

The group travelling from Kerala to Pokhara, a popular mountainous tourist destination, were on their way back home and had stayed at Everest Panorama Resort in Daman in the Makawanpur district on Monday night.

Early reports say they fell unconscious possibly due to a gas leak from a heater in their room at the resort. Seven members of the group reportedly survived because they slept in a separate room.

Bodies of the deceased were flown from Kathmandu to New Delhi on Thursday morning and will be brought to Thiruvananthapuram in the evening. The bodies will be kept in a mortuary at night and will be brought to their house on Friday morning. 

What happened?

According to the manager at the resort, the guests stayed in a room and turned on a gas heater to keep themselves warm.

Although they had booked a total of four rooms, eight of them stayed in a room and the remaining others in another room, the manager said, with all the windows and the door of the room bolted from inside.

“They ordered snacks from the resort restaurant,” the resort manager, Shiva KC, was quoted as saying by The Kathmandu Post.

After dinner at 10:30 pm, the guests of two cottages went to their rooms, while the others stayed back at the restaurant.

“In spite of our objection, they were constantly requesting to take the heater they were using in the restaurant to their rooms. They took it at around 2 am...

Continue reading on HuffPost