The season of dance, music and madness is upon us as the festival of dandiya and garba, Navratri is soon to begin. In 2018, the nine-day long festival will begin from October 10 and will end on October 18. Clothes form an important part of every Indian festival and with each festival is depicted India’s diverse culture. On the occasion of Navratri, traditional outfits like chaniya choli for girls and kediyu dhoti for boys is a common sight. But what completes the entire look for any occasion is when your outfit is styled and accessorised correctly. Below we give you some tips for both boys and girls on how to ace your style game on dandiya nights. Navratri 2018 Makeup Ideas for Garba Nights: Tutorials & Tips for a Long-Lasting Makeup This Dandiya Festival.
Traditional outfits bring out the essence and culture of Indian festivals. While girls have plethora of options to choose from, sometimes it gets confusing for men about what to wear on dandiya nights. Today, we will provide men with some style tips and tricks that they can easily and effortlessly carry for the garba nights this Navaratri. If going completely traditional doesn’t fancy you then you can also opt for an Indo-western style or keep it simple. But having one traditional element in your outfit for Navratri will enhance your look. Navaratri Songs in Gujarati: Traditional Dandiya Numbers for Garba Enthusiasts to Celebrate Navratri 2018 (Watch Videos).
Navratri Outfit Ideas for Girls
1. Traditional Chaniya Choli: This is the safest bet for the festival. The traditional outfit mostly worn by girls during Navratri is the classic chaniya choli. Chaniya choli is a long-flared skirt paired with a traditional crop top or blouse and a dupatta draped around. During the festival, the markets are filled colourful chaniya choli patterns and vibrant colours that will leave you spoilt for options.
Navratri outfit ideas for girls. (Photo Credits: Instagram)
2. Indo-Western Style: If you want to detour from the traditional route, try mix and matching your clothes by giving a western and contemporary twist to your traditional attire. First, you can pair your ghagra with a fancy crop-top and second, wear a black T-back or singlet and style it with a printed traditional jacket. The third option you can try is wearing an all-black ensemble and jazz it up with a traditional printed colourful dupatta with embroidery.
3. Accessorise: Whether you are wearing Indo-western or traditional outfit for dandiya, accessories are a must. Girls wear oxidised silver jewellery which include bangles, necklace, payal, kamadbandh, mathapatti and maang tikka. Go for chunky jewellery, it will help lift the overall look of your outfit. Since you’ll be dancing all night long, avoid wearing heels or tiresome footwear. Instead opt for jootis or mojris or simple flats. Complete your look with a nice matching bindi with your outfit and it can be worn with both traditional and western outfits.
Navratri Outfit ideas for Boys
1. Traditional Kediyu and Kafni Pajama: This is an ensemble for men typically worn in the performances of the garba and dandiya dances. The two-piece attire consists of Kediyu, the shirt and Kafni Pajamas, the bottom. Just like chaniya choli, traditional outfit for men also come in different colours and embellishments.
Navratri outfits for boys. (Photo Credits; Instagram)
2. Choose the Right Material: For dandiya and garba nights you’ll be sweating profusely since you’ll be constantly dancing for hours. Unless you are participating in a competition, it is best to keep it simple and comfortable. Wear a simple but bright cotton kurta and pair it with pajamas. You can also add a printed jacket or a colourful dupatta.
3. Footwear: You can opt for mojris, sandals, loafers or even shoes – whatever you are comfortable in dancing with. Avoid wearing tight shoes, since your feet will be sweating a lot. Wear socks so that you have a good grip while dancing.
If you are still confused what to wear for the dandiya nights, take cue from our celebrities like Deepika Padukone and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. You can replicate Deepika’s look from the movie Ram Leela and Aishwarya looked equally stunning in the song ‘Dholi Taro’ from the movie Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. Likewise, boys can take inspiration from Ranveer Singh and Salman Khan respectively. The right outfit for the occasion will set the mood right for the festival and don’t forget to click whole lot of pictures in gorgeous traditional outfits. Happy Navratri 20181