New Delhi, April 1: To give a push to the Digital India initiative, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address over 1000 engineering students at the Grand Finale of Smart India Hackathon today at 10 pm via video conferencing. The hackathon is said to be world’s largest hackathon, an event that in which a large number of people meet to engage in collaborative computer programming to find digital solutions to the problems by creating software or mobile apps. Human Resource Development Prakash Javadekar is the chief patron of the campaign. The Ministry of Human Resource Development is leading the campaign to create a digital India.
The finale event is likely to last nearly for 36 hours in which over 10,000 programmers will compete. The event is being held at 26 locations in the country. “Digital India, Start-up India and Make in India campaigns which need skilled and innovative workforce are the starting point of the Smart India Hackathon,” a senior official of the IT Ministry said, reports NDTV.
WHAT IS SMART INDIA HACKATHON
- The Smart India Hackathon promotes out-of-box thinking among students.
- The event focuses on finding solutions to the problems identified by 29 ministries and government departments.
- The ministries and govt departments are said to have identified nearly 598 problems of social importance to which nearly 42,000 students responded.
- The initial response to the issues had come from over 7,500 teams of approximately 42,000 students.
- Nearly 1,266 teams of 10,000 students from 28 states have been shortlisted for the grand finale.
- For the next 36 hours, the teams of participants will find digital solutions to the issues identified by the ministries and government departments.
- At the end of the hackathon, the end products will then be evaluated by experts.
- The top three teams will then be awarded awarded Rs. 1 lakh, Rs. 75,000 and Rs. 50,000 respectively.
- The Hackathon also aims to improve awareness about patents in India.
- The winners will also form the Community of Innovative Minds.
FOR A DIGITAL INDIA, A BETTER INDIA
The best digital solution or the awarded solution will be used by the relevant ministry to improve their governance systems. Nearly 2110 mentors trained students just before the grand finale.
“For the preparations of the finale, online trainings were given to students by approximately 2110 mentors appointed for the purpose. During the finale, the selected groups will be locked-in for 36 hours continuously and complete digital solutions for the problem statements through programming to create computer software or a mobile app,” an official statement said.
The Smart India Hackathon will start at 8 AM on April 1 and will contibue till 8 PM on April 2 at 26 different locations in India.