Najeeb Ahmed Case: Delhi Court Directs CBI to Provide Statements of Witnesses and Documents to Missing Student's Mother

Team Latestly
The court observed that there cannot be a half-hearted approach and effective opportunity be given to Najeeb's mother to file protest petition.

New Delhi, April 22: A Delhi Court on Monday directed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to supply statement of witnesses and documents aligned with closure report to Najeeb's mother by the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate. The court observed that there cannot be a half-hearted approach and effective opportunity be given to Najeeb's mother to file protest petition.

Also Read | Muslim Prisoner Burn-Stamped ‘Om’ On Back in Delhi's Tihar Jail, Physically Assaulted; Court Orders Probe

The court also said that the next date of hearing is on May 7, 2019. News agency ANI tweeted about development in the case.

Read the Tweet Below:

Also Read | SSC Paper Leak 2017: Supreme Court Asks CBI to File Fresh Status Report on Probe Into Staff Selection Commission Exam Scandal


Investigation into the mysterious disappearance of JNU student Najeeb Ahmed, who went missing from the university in 2016, came to an end in October, 2018, as the Delhi High Court allowed CBI to file a closure report in the matter.

The high court did not agree with the allegation of Ahmed’s mother, Fatima Nafees, that CBI wanted to file the closure report due to “political compulsions”.

A bench of Justices S Muralidhar and Vinod Goel also dismissed her allegation that the probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) was “tardy and slow”.

The bench said: “This court is, for the reasons discussed hereafter, not persuaded that the CBI is tardy and slow in the investigation or that it has not taken steps that are required to be taken in the matter.

“In the present case, this court has in fact monitored the investigation thus far of the CBI and has not been persuaded to agree with the petitioner that the CBI has not acted fairly or that it has been under any influence or political compulsions in its decision to file a closure report.”

The CBI, which had taken over the probe on May 16 last year, after more than a year of investigation said it had looked into all the aspects of the case and was of the opinion that no offence was committed against the missing student.

Ahmed had gone missing from the Mahi-Mandvi hostel of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) here on October 15, 2016, following a scuffle with some students allegedly affiliated to the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) the previous night. As the Delhi Police remained clueless about Ahmed’s whereabouts even after seven months of his going missing, the probe was handed over to the CBI on May 16 last year. (With Agency Inputs)