Mumbai-Goa Tejas Express Passengers Served Contaminated Food, 26 Hospitalised Due to Food Poisoning
New Delhi, October 15: More than 26 passengers travelling in Goa-Mumbai Tejas Express were today admitted to hospital for food poisoning. The passengers complained of illness and stomach ache after eating the food served to them on the premium train Tejas Express.
The train was stopped at Chiplun station in the Konkan region of Maharashtra. All the passengers with same symptoms of food poisoning were admitted in a hospital where they are said to be stable. But the doctors of a private hospital have kept them under observation.
Soon after having their breakfast served by the train, some passengers started vomiting and some complained of severe stomach pain. Around 300 passengers were served breakfast by the pantry staff of the Tejas Express.
The Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) responded to the incident and said that “all the passengers currently hospitalised are out of danger and the same has bee confirmed by hospital authorities.”
The IRCTC issued a statement which said that a case of food poisoning was reported in train no 22120 Tejas Exp from several passengers. Due to this, the train was stopped at Chiplun station after the doctor at the railway provided first treatment.
“Further 24 passengers have been admitted in life care hospital for medical assistance. Staff has accompanied passengers to hospital,” the IRCTC tweeted.
The Indian Railways also launched a probe to ascertain the source of food poisoning. “We have taken food samples for investigation. Total no 300 breakfast (170 veg 130 non veg) has been served,” the IRCTC said in a statement.
“To follow up the matter, Director of Catering Services is proceeding to Mumbai. Follow up action and monitoring is being done to ensure proper assistance,” the IRCTC stated.
The high-end Tejas Express was launched recently and it runs between Mumbai and Goa as a premium train of the Indian Railways.