A mother from Georgetown, Ill., is warning other parents to “be very careful” about what they allow their children to play with after her 3-year-old daughter suffered from a severe allergic reaction to a “cheap” makeup kit marketed to children.
Kylie Craven said that she and her husband bought their daughter, Lydia, a child’s makeup set from a local Family Dollar earlier this month, thinking the makeup was “harmless” and “nontoxic.”
“Having bought Lydia this same type of thing … just different brand(s) … we never imagined after spending the day applying to her eyes and lips that our worst nightmare would come true,” Craven wrote in a Facebook post, alongside photos of Lydia with her eyes swollen shut.
The post quickly went viral, with more than 195,000 shares to date.
“There are six different chemicals in this makeup that are commonly known to cause an allergic reaction,” Craven wrote. “Lydia unfortunately was one of those people allergic and for the past week she has been going through a severe allergic reaction.”
The reaction was so bad that she said Lydia had to be admitted to a pediatric clinic.
“In 24 hours, our little girl went from 100 per cent healthy to her eyes swollen and blistered shut,” Craven continued, noting that she “had a rash all over her body,” and that she and her husband had had to apply cold packs to their daughter’s skin every 30 minutes because of the burning sensation. “She was unable to eat much for days because of the blistering and cracking of her lips.”
Thankfully, Lydia is now recovering at home. But the Cravens want parents to be aware of the ingredients in cosmetics sold for children.
“For Tony and I, this was definitely an eye opener, and we will be more cautious about acknowledging ingredients and educating ourselves on what is good and bad before purchasing from here on out.”
Have you ever bought your child cosmetics? Have you thought about what ingredients are in the products your child uses?
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:
- A woman died from ‘bee acupuncture’ — here’s why you should think twice before getting the popular treatment
- Minnesota Toddler Is Allergic to Water — Including Her Own Tears: ‘We’re Scared for Her Future’
- Why I Choose to Boycott ‘Peter Rabbit’ as a Food Allergy Mom