Jet Airways Bans Smart Luggage Without Removable Batteries on Flights From January 15
New Delhi, Oct 21: A passenger travelling on a Jet Airways flight from Delhi to Indore got the fright of his life after a phone kept in the bag of his wife emitted smoke suddenly. The incident took place on Friday when Atul Dhall, a resident of Delhi’s Mayur Vihar-I , who runs a packaging business in Delhi was travelling to celebrate Diwali with his aunt. He was accompanied by his wife, 18-month-old son and father.
“We heard a thud from under the seat and then fumes started spreading. There were three mobile phones in my wife Arpita’s handbag, which was tucked under her seat,” Times of India quoted Atul as saying. The attendants were serving snacks to passengers when the cabin started filling with fumes, leaving 80 passengers of the flight panicked.
Dhall informed that one of the crew members immediately pulled out the bag and placed it at the rear. “The attendant brought a fire extinguisher, but it was not working. The fire was then doused by pouring water on the bag on suggestions by passengers,”he asserted.
Soon after the incident, the airlines issued a statement which reads, “The Jet Airways crew (took) all necessary precautionary measures as per the prescribed guidelines. The mobile device was taken into custody for further investigations. There was no injury to guests or crew or (damage to) any part of the cabin. The aircraft landing was safe and uneventful.”
Reportedly, the matter has been referred to Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).