Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro was placed on administrative leave by the league Friday. Castro was reportedly placed on the list due to an alleged domestic violence incident, according to Britt Ghiroli of The Athletic.
The incident reportedly took place earlier in the summer. Castro is expected to be placed on paid leave for seven days, though MLB can extend that depending on the nature of the allegations and the league's investigation. That's what the league did with Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer, who is currently suspended as MLB looks into allegations of sexual assault.
In a statement, the league confirmed Castro was placed on the list, but did not provide details regarding the move. It noted Castro's suspension can be extended.
Details regarding Castro's alleged assault are not available at this time. The Nationals placed Castro on the restricted list June 16. At the time, Nationals manager Dave Martinez said Castro had a "family issue." Castro returned to the team June 18, and has played regularly ever since. It's unclear whether the incident took place at that time.
Martinez said the Nationals first heard of the allegations against Castro on Thursday. Martinez said, "We do not tolerate it" in reference to domestic abuse. He added that he would have taken a different approach regarding Castro being put on the restricted list in June had Martinez known about the situation at the time.
Castro was investigated for sexual assault in 2012, though no charges were brought against him at that time.
MLB has placed players and coaches on leave for alleged domestic violence
Bauer and Castro are the most recent players to be placed on administrative leave for an alleged domestic violence situation. Atlanta Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna was placed on leave after he was arrested for alleged domestic violence in late May.
More from Yahoo Sports: