New Delhi, Nov. 6: Maruti Suzuki India has ruled out reinstating any of the 546 workers who were fired after labour troubles and riots at the company's Manesar factory in July. The sacked employees will go on a two-day hunger strike and start peaceful protests tomorrow to get their jobs back.
"We have always maintained that the sacked workers won't ever be taken back, and that stand continues," said a Maruti spokesman.
The sacked workers have formed a temporary committee and served a notice to the Haryana government for a hunger strike on Wednesday, followed by a rally on Thursday.
The worker's body of Maruti India's Gurgaon plant has also thrown its weight behind the sacked colleagues.
"The workers at Manesar, who have been dismissed, will be going on hunger strike on November 7 and 8. While we will not take part in the hunger strike, we will join them in the protest rally to be held after it as a mark of support," Maruti Udyog Kamgar Union general-secretary Kuldeep Janghu told reporters.
After a deadly riot at its Manesar facility in July, Maruti had sacked over 500 permanent workers and about 2,000 contract workers.
Maruti declared an indefinite lockout at Manesar on July 21, saying that it would resume production only when it was sure that employees would be safe.
The unit, which produces Maruti's best-selling Swift and DZire diesel cars, reopened on August 21 amid heavy security.
Till date, Maruti has not resumed full production at Manesar and diesel car orders have piled up beyond 1.25 lakh units. Maruti managing director Shinzo Nakanishi said last month the Manesar factory was very close to reaching its full production level of 1,700 cars per day.