Late Manyama goal fires Kaizer Chiefs to win over Golden Arrows

Amakhosi left it late to break down a stubborn Afabana Bes'thende

Lebogang Manyama’s goal deep into stoppage time saw Kaizer Chiefs surging on in the Premier Soccer League (PSL) title race with a 1-0 win over Lamontville Golden Arrows at Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday.

Just as it appeared Chiefs were headed to another disappointing draw after sharing the spoils with struggling Black Leopards the previous weekend, Manyama pounced to save the day for Chiefs three minutes into injury time.

The result saw Chiefs restore a 10-point gap at the summit, although their closest rivals Mamelodi Sundowns, who now have a game in hand, could still trim it back to seven.

It was a second straight game for Arrows to fail to win and they remain in eighth spot as Chiefs completed a double over them after beating the Durban side 2-0 in the reverse fixture last October.

Throughout Saturday’s match, Manyama missed a number of chances, especially from set-pieces, but crucially he managed to atone for that late on.

Free-kicks characterised the opening 10 minutes of the match as George Maluleka’s take hit the wall, and Manyama had his cleared from inside the box, while Arrows also missed a chance of their own.

Zimbabwean forward Knox Mutizwa, playing his 100th game for Arrows, was the usual target of most of the hosts’ attacks but he could not shake the Chiefs defence.

Lindokuhle Mtshali appeared to be the main threat for Chiefs and shot just over the bar from the edge of the box on 17 minutes.

Chiefs then attempted to respond immediately although Eric Mathoho’s effort narrowly missed the target and Manyama twice had his freekicks defended just before the half-hour mark.

The hosts nearly went for half-time break leading but Chiefs’ defender Kgotso Moleko did well to defend from the combination between Mutizwa and Ntsako Makhubela just a minute before the breather.

Five minutes after the break, Manyama’s goal-bound shot forced a desperate block Matome Mathiane.

Moments later, Chiefs goalkeeper Daniel Akpay was brought to action, saving well Mutizwa’s freekick.

While few chances were created thereafter, Amakhosi began pressing more towards the death with impressive Arrows goalkeeper Sifiso Mlungwana saving Mathoho’s headed effort right on 90 minutes.

Their persistence, however, saw them finally breaching Arrows with Manyama pouncing on a rebound after an initial save by Mlungwana.