Manipur: Governor invites BJP to form coalition government, Biren Singh's swearing-in today
The Bharatiya Janata Party is all set to form government in Manipur as the swearing-in ceremony of Chief Minister designate Nongthombam Biren Singh is scheduled to be held at 1 pm, on 15 March.
Governor Najma Heptullah, on 14 March, had invited the BJP alliance with regional parties to form government in Manipur.
"I weighed and measured the stability factor before making the decision," the governor said yesterday.
Although, Congress had emerged as the single largest party with 28 MLAs and BJP came second with 21 MLAs but it managed to garner support of 11 more MLAs to claim majority in the 60-member assembly.
The coalition government in Manipur will have 21 BJP MLAs, 4 National People's Party MLAs, 4 Naga People's Front, 1 Lok Janshakti Party MLA, 1 TMC MLA and 1 Independent.
BJP national president Amit Shah along with Union Ministers Venkaiah Naidu and Rajnath Singh are likely to attend the swearing-in ceremony.
The guest list will also have two BJP Chief Ministers from northeast states i.e. Sarbananda Sonowal from Assam and Pema Khandu from Arunachal Pradesh.
- 'Unnecessary talks': Rajnath on his name being considered for UP CM
- After Mayawati, Arvind Kejriwal blames EVMs 'foul play' for dismal show in assembly polls
- Assam: 42 Muslim clerics issue fatwa against reality singing star Nahid Afrin
- Mallikarjun Kharge to be next Public Accounts Committee chairman
- LG #KarSalaam initiative achieves a 'Guinness World Records' title