The Mangalore police today resorted to lathicharge to disburse protestors trying to lay siege on the police commissioner's office in the city.
The mob belonging to the outfit- People's Front of India were agitating to seek justice for Khuraishi, an accused arrested for attempt to murder a Hindutva leader, Prakash Raj.
This is what happened:
- PFI members alleged that the Mangalore Police arrested Khuraishi just before he was to appear in court for the case.
- They also said that he was being subjected to third degree torture in prison.
- The unruly mob not only hurled stones at government offices but also halted the traffic for nearly two hours.
- According to police, the protestors had not taken any prior permission to hold a demonstration in the area that made it illegal.
- They further blamed the police authorities of framing him in false petty case.
- A week after Khuraishi's family had been running pillar to post looking for him, the police produced him in court for a petty case, said the PFI members.
- Khuraishi is currently admitted in a hospital owing to some kidney-related problem.
- "The demand now is to arrest the police officials who wrongfully arrested Khuraishi and also to help the family by giving them compensation," the protestors demanded.