Court shown CCTV images of Manchester Arena bomber just seconds before attack

Will Taylor
News Reporter
Salman Abedi, moments before he detonated his bomb (PA)

A CCTV image taken 19 seconds before the Manchester Arena bomber detonated his explosive has been shown to jurors.

Salman Abedi blew up his homemade device on 22 May 2017 as hundreds of people milled around in the venue’s foyer after an Ariana Grande concert ended.

The suicide bombing left 22 people dead and injured hundreds more.

CCTV pictures showing the attacker’s final movements were shown to the jury in the trial of Salman Abedi’s brother, Hashem Abedi, who denies helping his brother prepare the attack.

Salman Abedi pictured on his way to Manchester Arena (PA)
Salman Abedi travelling to the arena via tram (PA)

Images show Salman wearing a large Karrimor rucksack that contains the bomb as he travels to the arena, where 14,054 people were inside. Some 359 people were standing around the foyer when he triggered the blast.

Jurors heard how the explosion ripped Abedi’s body into four parts and was riddled with nuts, wire and metal parts. The bomb had been packed with shrapnel.

He was identified by matching his fingerprints from a shoplifting offence in 2012.

British Transport Police officers from nearby Victoria Station were the first on the scene, and Greater Manchester Police officers checked for any other explosives that could have been planted.

A triage station was set up in Victoria Station.

Salman Abedi pictured on CCTV in the build up to his attack (PA)
Salman Abedi at Victoria Station making his way to the Manchester Arena (PA)

The Old Bailey heard how the father of 15-year-old victim Meghan Hurley stayed with her body until after 1am.

After the blast, forensic officers recovered 1,675 nyloc nuts, 156 flanged nuts, 663 plain nuts and 11 fragments from the deceased, survivors and the crime scene.

The majority of the nuts, measuring 8mm, 10mm and 12mm, had been damaged.

Police also found metal fragments from a paint tin and lid and a drinks can.

Abedi pictured on CCTV (PA)

CCTV footage also shows Salman Abedi leaving his flat in Granby Row, Manchester, before taking a Metrolink tram to Victoria Station.

While waiting for the tram, he made a four minute call to his family in Libya.

His younger brother Hashem was in Libya at the time.

Hasham Abedi 22-year-old denies 22 counts of murder, one count of attempted murder and conspiracy to cause explosions at his Old Bailey trial.

The trial continues.