New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) A 50-year-old man and his son were killed in a fire that broke out due to a leaking LPG cylinder in their shanty in a south Delhi area, police said on Sunday.
The deceased, identified as Vasudev, and his son, Arjun, 18, were living in a shanty in Srinivaspuri area near Lajpat Nagar here. They hailed from Bihar’s Katihar district.
Police said the incident took place on Saturday night at around 8.30 p.m. when Vasudev and Arjun — both working as labourers — were cooking their food.
“As they were cooking, a fire broke out in their shanty due to leakage in the LPG cylinder. They got trapped inside and could not get out,” a police officer said.
Some neighbours broke into the burning shanty and rescued them but they had already suffered 90 per cent burn injuries.
They were rushed to the Safdarjung Hospital where they succumbed to their injuries on Sunday, the officer added.
This is published unedited from the IANS feed.