Man arrested for duping businessmen in Delhi

·2-min read

New Delhi, Nov 8 (PTI) A 51-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly cheating businessmen in Delhi and other regions, police said on Sunday.

The accused has been identified as Manoj Kumar, a resident of Palam Colony in south west Delhi, they said.

According to police, Kumar and his associates used to give 25 per cent advance payment to the traders and take away the goods. The accused, however, never paid the remaining amount.

A case was registered at the Moti Nagar Police Station against the accused following a complaint by one Parag Pahwa who alleged that on January 12, 2018, the firm Sri Balaji Overseas ordered 500 pieces of LED television and the same was delivered, police said.

A part payment was made by the company and post-dated cheques (PDCs) of Rs 34.50 lakh were issued, a senior police officer said, adding that there was no balance in the account of the accused at the time of issuing the cheques.

During investigation, it was found that the accused had also cheated other traders with the same modus operandi, the officer said.

Sri Balaji Overseas was being operated by the accused from Ashok Vihar and orders were placed to businessmen for purchasing various goods, police said.

'The accused used to purchase goods of any type from the traders and make 25 per cent of the total amount as advance payment. Then, they used to give the remaining 75 per cent amount by post-dated cheques of one month to three months,' Joint Commissioner of Police (EOW) O P Mishra said.

When the date of the cheques came closer, the accused used to buy time and request the victims not to deposit the cheques in the banks. The accused assured them to provide other cheques, police said.

“The accused did not deal in any particular kind of goods. Instead, they purchased all kinds of goods subject to availability of dealer. They bought spices, paper, LED TVs, computer parts, PVC fitting articles among others. After collecting the goods from various dealers, the accused disappear,” a police official said.

During investigation, it was revealed that Kumar was arrested by Noida Police and he was lodged in Kasna Jail. He was later arrested by the Delhi Police from the jail and taken on two days police custody remand, Mishra added.

PTI NIT SRY SRY