Mamelodi Sundowns 0-0 Baroka: Bakgaga frustrate Brazilians in Tshwane

The Brazilians were forced to settle for a point against a resilient Bakgaga side in Gauteng

Mamelodi Sundowns and  Baroka FC  shared the spoils in a Premier Soccer League (PSL) match which was played at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Brazilians were hoping to maintain their unbeaten run in the PSL, whilst Bakgaga were looking to bag their third win of the season.

From their previous matches, the Brazilians were fresh from victories over SuperSport United and Equatorial Guinea's Leones Vegetarianos in the PSL, and Caf Champions League respectively.

The absence of Mosa Lebusa, Themba Zwane and Denis Onyango allowed Kennedy Mweene, Wayne Arendse and Aubrey Ngoma to start.

Bakgaga were still in a celebratory mood following their win over Orlando Pirates in the Telkom Knockout Cup final.

Despite an early dominance as far as possession and entries in the final third after 15 minutes of action, Pitso Mosimane's men had no clear-cut opportunity to test Elvis Chipezeze.

Having had moments where they looked dangerous, Baroka's Talent Chawapiwa was a handful for the hosts and they were awarded a set piece in the 21st minute, but it was cleared by an aerially strong Arendse.

The 28th minute saw Hlompho Kekana becoming a recipient of a brilliant pass from Lebohang Maboe, but the skipper failed to hit the target from the edge of the penalty area.

With their brilliant passing ability, the reigning PSL champions starved Baroka of the ball and Kekana's pinpoint pass picked up Jeremy Brockie, whose half-volley was swallowed by the Zimbabwean goalkeeper in the 35th minute.

Towards the interval, Maboe's well-timed interception denied the Limpopo side a goal after pick-pocketing the ball from Sundowns in the middle of the park.

Then Chipezeze denied Kekana from a set piece ensuring that the first half ends goalless.

Upon their emergence from the tunnel, Sundowns continued to probe for an opener and Brockie was denied by Chipezeze in the 49th minute and the goalkeeper collected on the second attempt.

The second half was a fast-paced affair after the hour mark and Baroka protested for a penalty when Lyle Lakay looked like he had fouled Tebogo Sodi in the box, but referee Phillip Tinyani was not interested.

After suffering a broken lip, the game was stopped for Chipezeze to receive medical attention after colliding with Phakamani Mahlambi and Sundowns still struggled to break down the visitors' defence after 75 minutes of action.

Resulting for Chipezeze's injury, the referee added six minutes on the clock and Mosimane had hopes of stealing it when he introduced Ali Meza for Andile Jali, but the changes failed to yield the desired result for the hosts, and the match ended in a 0-0 draw.