Malegaon blast victims oppose bail applications of 2006 blasts accused

The earlier arrested accused have been discharged from the case but the trial against the presently accused is yet to begin.

After opposing the bail applications of Malegaon 2008 blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt Colonel Prasad Purohit, the victims have now filed an intervention application to oppose the bail applications of Malegaon 2006 blast accused.

In 2008 blasts, seven people had died while over 100 were injured whereas in the 2006, a series of blasts had shook Bada Kabrastan, Hammidiya Masjid and Muhavarat Chowk on September 8, killing 31 people and injuring over 300.

The intervenor Shafique Ahmed Mohd Salim lost his 18-year-old son Sajid in the 2006 blast.

The case was initially investigated by the Maharashtra Police but was later handed over to the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) on October 23.

ATS invoked the Maharashtra Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) in the 2006 blasts case and arrested nine people who were members of the banned organisation, Student Islamic Movement of India, namely- Nooul Huda, Shabbir Ahmed, Raes Ahmed, Dr Salman Farsi, Dr Daroga Iqbal, Shaikh Mohd Ali, Asif Khan Bashir Khan, Mohd Zahid and Abrar Ahmed.

WHAT IS HAPPENING

The case was then handed over to the CBI in 2007.

In the meanwhile, investigating the Mecca Masjid blast of Hyderabad, the investigating agencies came across Swami Aseemanand, who said that an accused of the 2006 Malegaon blasts had told him that those were the handiwork of his men.

Soon after, the case was handed over to the National Investigating Agency (NIA) in 2011, who reported that the people who had been arrested in the case till then were innocent.

They concluded that Manohar Narwaria, Rajendra Chaudhary, Dhan Singh, Lokesh Sharma, deceased Sunil Joshi, Ramchandra Kalsangra, Ramesh Mahalkar, Sandeep Dange along with a few others were the real culprits.

The accused have been chargesheeted.

The earlier arrested accused have been discharged from the case but the trial against the presently accused is yet to begin.

50-year-old Shafique says that "Perusal of the chargesheet shows that Dhan Singh, Manohar, Rajendra and Ramesh are the main conspirators..." he added that since he lost his son to the terror attack so therefore being affected by it directly should be heard in court before it decides on the bail applications.