PK Kunhalikutty of the Congress-led UDF today won the Malappuram bypoll in Kerala by 171,038 lakh votes. Communist Party of India-Marxist's member MB Faisal was the first runner-up while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate N Sreeprakash was a distant third.
The bypoll, voting for which took place on April 12, was necessitated following the demise of E Ahamed, former Union Minister and leader of IUML, a key partner in the Congress-led UDF Opposition in Kerala.
COUNTING - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- IUML wins Malappuram Lok Sabha by-election. The UDF candidate gets 171,038 lakh votes.
- IUML's Kunhalikutty leads by over 4 lakh votes.
- UDF's Kunhalikutty leading with over 3 lakh votes.
- Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Sreeprakash trails in third position. CPM's MB Faisal in second spot with over 2 lakh votes.
- UDF leading in all 7 constituencies. Party headed for win by a record margin.
- None of the above (NOTA) has got over 1000 votes.
Congress-led UDF candidate and IUML General Secretary P K Kunhalikutty, LDF candidate M B Faisal (CPI-M) and NDA nominee N Sreeprakash of BJP are the main contestants in the fray. Six independents are also trying their luck from the constituency.
A total of 71.33 per cent voters exercised their franchise in the by-election, against the 71.11 per cent recorded in the last Parliament election.