Dr Krishna Kirawale, a noted Ambedkarite thinker, was found murdered at his house in Kolhapur in western Maharashtra on Friday.
Kirawale was retired head of the Marathi department of Shivaji University in Kolhapur. His body was found at his residence in Kolhapur's Rajendra Nagar locality.
DETAILS SO FAR:
1. Kirawale was stabbed to death by unknown assailants and the reason is not yet known. He was a well known figure who propagated Ambedkarite thoughts and was closely associated with several progressive movements.
2. After Narendra Dabholkar and Comrade Govind Pansare this is the throd murder of a scholar owing allegiance to progressive thinking.
3. Surprisingly, Kirawale's murder has taken place in same Kolhapur where another rationalist Govind Pansare was shot dead in broad day light in 2015.
4. In February 2015, unidentified men riding on a motorcycle had shot Pansare near his residence in Kolhapur, when he was returning from a morning walk with his wife.
5. After more than 6 months and a lot of criticism and public outrage, Kolhapur police had arrested Sameer Gaikwad - a Sanatan Sanstha sadhak - from his residence in Sangli for his alleged involvement in the murder. They also arrested Virendrasinh Tawade and made him the second suspect in the case.
6. Earlier this week, the SIT also questioned Sanathan Sanstha Chief Jayant Athawale at his Ashram in Goa.
7. Meanwhile, Union MoS for Social Justice Ramdas Athawale has condemnded the incident and has demanded an in-depth probe in Kirawale's murder.
8. Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Legislative Council Dhanajya Munde has attacked the state government over the murder. "Kirawale's murder is a shameful incident. This shows that the law and order situation in Maharashtra has deteriorated," attacked Munde.
9. "The fear of law in Maharashtra is over," said leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly, Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil.
10. Police said they do not have any clue of a possible motive behind the brutal murder yet but a probe has been initiated.