Maha: Student Police Cadet programme in 354 govt schools soon

Mumbai, Jan 30 (PTI) The Maharashtra government will soon launch the Student Police Cadet (SPC) programme in 354 government schools, an official from the home department said on Thursday.

Under the programme, selected students from Classes 8 and 9 at government schools will be taught about community policing, road safety, safety of women and children, anti- corruption measures and disaster management, he said.

Apart from this, they will also get lessons on values and ethics of life, including empathy, sympathy, tolerance, team spirit and discipline, he added.

The nationwide SPC programme was launched in July 2018 by then Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.

The state government issued a government resolution (GR) on Wednesday to disburse Rs 1.77 crore for the programme, the official said.

Each selected government school will get Rs 50,000 from the allotted fund for educational aids, training and contingency, he added.

Police commissioners in cities and superintendents of police (SP) at district level will be responsible for disbursal of funds, the official said.

While the Centre will provide 60 per cent of the funding under its Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF) scheme, the state will pitch in with the remaining 40 per cent, he added. PTI DC ARU ARU