New Delhi:: India lost three soldiers, including an officer, early on Thursday when militants, suspected to be from Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad, attacked an army camp in Kupwara sector of Jammu and Kashmir.
In the attack, which resembled the Uri attack of September last year, two militants were gunned down and combing operations were underway. Sources said search was on for one more terrorist.
Here's a look at how the attack unfolded:
- Three terrorists come down from the firing range side of the camp which hugs a hill close to the border with Pakistan
- They breach two layers of fencing to enter the camp premises
- A perimeter patrol party of the Indian Army comprising four to five men engages the intruders in a gunbattle. One soldier attains martyrdom in Kupwara.
- The terrorists are then engaged in seven minutes of intense firing where two other soldiers are killed
- Two terrorists are gunned down. The soldier who eliminated them was wounded and is being treated
Naik Rishi a housekeeper spotted the three terrorists fleeing. He tried blocking their way and shot one down. Rishi was hit on the Patka (headgear) but it saved his life. He ran out of ammunition, and was hit on the hand. Rishi saved the day for the army in kupwara.
[blurb]Sources told CNN-News18 that the martyrs included Captain Ayush Yadav from Kanpur, Subedar Bhoop Singh from Rajasthan and Naik B.V. Ramanna from Visakhapatnam, adding that the toll was feared to rise. Sources added that the injuries sustained by five other soldiers were non-fatal.[/blurb]
The Army recovered three AK 47s rifles, one Chinese pistol and a grenade launcher from the slain terrorists. Two GPS devices, one mobile phone and maps were also recovered from them.
As the army was engaged in combing operations following the attack, stone-pelters near the camp tried to disrupt the movement of army convoys that were bringing in reinforcements.
The protestor were chanting 'Azadi Azadi' and were demanding the bodies of the two terrorists for burial. Eventually the army opened fire in which a civilian lost his life.
ALSO READ: 3 Soldiers Killed in Uri-style Fidayeen Attack on Army Camp in Kupwara