In a startling twist to the Kodanad estate murder mystery today, the police discovered that three suitcases with documents of Jayalalithaa's property worth crores were stolen from the estate.
According to sources,"Documents worth hundreds of crores were taken from the Kodanadu estate... Some were in the name of Sasikala and Jayalalithaa jointly."
Reportedly, the mastermind of the heist was close to both Jayalalithaa and Sasikala.
On the other hand, two main accused in the case met with separate accidents today.
One of the accused Kanakaraj, a former employee at Poes Garden died in a car crash in Tamil Nadu's Salim district. While his close aide and the second accused, Sayan met with a car accident in Kerala's Palakkad district today.
Sayan was traveling with his wife and daughter who died in the collision.
In a simultaneous development, based on the inputs from Krishna Bahadur, the other security guard who was injured in the Kodanad estate attack, police have released a sketch of one of the assailants.
Sketch of the main accused.
Kanakaraj, the ex-driver who was the main accused died today in a car crash.
Sayan's car after the crash. Photo: ANI
This comes a day after the Tamil Nadu Police claimed to have solved the murder mystery, naming a Kerala-based Hawala operator and an ex-employee at Kodanad estate for conspiring the heist.
Kanakaraj worked as a driver for four years at Jayalalithaa's Poes Garden residence in Chennai. Sayan alias Shyam was the owner of a bakery in Palakkad.
Here is the timeline of Kodanad Estate murder case
- On April 23, a security guard at Jayalalithaa's tea estate in Ooty was hacked to death, while another was injured.
- According to reports, eight to ten men barged into the Kodanad estate on the intervening night of April 23 with a motive that remains unclear and killed Om Bahadur after a scuffle.
- The police rounded up Krishna Bahadur, the other guard who was injured in the attack for interrogation.
- Acting on leads, police arrested three accused, Satish, Santosh and Deepak from Kerala's Thrissur and four more from Mallapuram.
- Today, ex-employee of Poes Garden and the main accused Kanakaraj died in a car crash, whereas another suspect too met with a similar fate.
- The second accused, Sayan is now battling for his life in hospital. He lost his wife and daughter in the accident.
Meanwhile, leaders from opposition parties are raising questions on the mysterious theft.
DMK spokesperson TKS Elangovan said, "The documents worth hundred crores have gone missing. Something mysterious was going on in Jayalalithaa's house and people surrounding her. Something to do with properties purchased illegally. We need proper investigation into this..."