King Kong statue catches fire at film premiere

Indo Asian News Service

Ho Chi Minh City, March 11 (IANS) The audience here panicked when a 16 ft statue of giant movie monster King Kong caught fire at the Vietnam premiere of "Kong: Skull Island".

The event took place on Thursday night here, reports variety.com.

The replica of King Kong caught fire following the faux eruption of a simulated volcano. Onlookers captured the scene on their phones.

The blaze was quickly put out by firefighters, and guests were able to enter the theater and watch the movie. No injuries were reported.

In a statement, a Vietnamese representative for Warner Bros said: "There was a small fire at an outdoor atrium at CGV Cinema in Ho Chi Minh City during a 'Kong: Skull Island' opening event. We are very grateful that no one was hurt."

"Kong: Skull Island", which stars Brie Larson, Tom Hiddleston and Samuel L. Jackson, is set in the 1970s at the end of the Vietnam War.

--IANS

sas/rb/vm