Kabul, April 24 (IANS) Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai once again slammed the US for its failure to take action against the Taliban and said killings are on the rise in the presence of US forces in Afghanistan.
Karzai had earlier declared a hard stance against the presence of American forces in the country, Khaama Press reported.
In a meeting with Chinese envoy to Afghanistan Yao Jing, Karzai on Sunday discussed the current situation in Afghanistan and said that regional countries should assist Kabul and must not let the US destroy it.
At least 140 soldiers were killed when Taliban militants stormed the 209 Shaheen Army Corps Headquarters in Balkh province and opened fire at army personnel as they prayed at a mosque in the compound.
According to a statement issued by his office, the former President said the presence of US forces in Afghanistan was turning it into a rivalry ground.
This comes as Karzai vowed to step up efforts to oust American forces from Afghanistan after the US earlier this month dropped "Mother of All Bombs" against Islamic State militants in Nangarhar province.
He slammed the government for allowing the US to carry out the strike and insisted the move would be a national treason if the government had approved the use of the massive bomb, Khaama Press reported.
Karzai also endorsed the relations between the Taliban and Russia, saying the Taliban had influence in almost 50 per cent of the Afghan soil and that the world powers had no choice but to interact with the group.