Six people have been killed and 10 others injured in an explosion at a cold storage building in Kanpur.
The cause of the explosion is said to be gas leak at the building in Kanpur's Shivrajpur area. Several others are feared trapped as following the blast parts of the structure collapsed.
According to SP (Rural) Rajesh Kumar, the gas leak started at the Katiyar cold storage in the afternoon. In the blast that followed, the roof of the structure collapsed.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Several people are feared trapped under the debris, and fire brigade personnel along with NDRF and Army teams are carrying out rescue and relief operations, Kumar said.
- Chief Medical Officer Dr Ramayan Prasad said the six seriously-injured labourers, who were rescued sometime in the evening, were declared brought dead by doctors of the medical college-cum-hospital in the city.
- Eleven labourers have been rescued and those with minor injuries discharged from the hospital after treatment, he said.
- Doctors at the hospital have been put on alert as the number of those injured is expected to rise, Prasad said.
- Kanpur District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said around two dozen labourers were having their lunch when the incident happened.
- More labourers could be still trapped under the debris, district administration officials said.
- The District Magistrate said rescue workers had been given protective gear, including masks. The district administration would also check if the cold storage had a license.
(WITH INPUTS FROM PTI)