DMK working president M K Stalin today said the Centre should hand over the case of JNU scholar J Muthukrishnan's death to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
"The Centre should hand over the cases of death of AIIMS student Saravanan and JNU student J Muthukrishnan to the CBI and nab the culprits," Stalin said.
Muthukrishnan was found hanging from the ceiling fan at a friend's place in South Delhi's Munirka Vihar. Delhi Police had said he was suffering from depression.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CASE:
- Muthukrishnan belonged to Salem, Tamil Nadu and his death has shocked the state. The JNU PhD scholar, who was known as Krish Rajini on Facebook, was a big fan of Tamil superstar Rajinikanth. His friends remember him as a hardworking student.
- DMK leader Stalin called to attention Muthukrishnan's father calling his son's death a murder. The father, Jeevanandam, had asked how his son could go to a friend's place for lunch and then kill himself. Stalin said the Delhi Police's argument that Muthukrishnan was depressed for a while is unacceptable.
- "His Facebook post of March 9 in which he spoke of the discrimination he faced in the university cannot be ruled out by the Delhi Police," he said.
- Stalin also brought up the death of AIIMS student Saravanan who died under mysterious circumstances on July 10 last year. While Delhi Police called it suicide, the post-mortem report ruled out suicide. According to the police, Saravanan had killed himself by injecting poison into his bloodstream.
- "We cried foul and five months after the AIIMS student's death, a murder case was registered and a chargesheet was filed," Stalin said.
- Stalin urged the Central government to hand over the two cases to the CBI and nab the culprits immediately.