Football Sports Development Limited (FSDL), the organisers of the Indian Super League (ISL) spent approximately INR 27 crore on the health and safety protocols and infrastructure at the 2020-21 season, which was held entirely in Goa. The league was held for a duration of six months, including the pre-season, and 18 bio bubbles were created across 14 hotels. The league ended on Saturday with Mumbai City FC winning their first-ever title with a 2-1 win over ATK Mohun Bagan.
Indian football was the first event to be back in India in coronavirus times and ISL 2020-21 was the first major event to be held with bio bubbles in India. I-League qualifiers were the first tournament to take place in a bio bubble in Kolkata but ISL was on a much-larger scale. ISL conducted approximately 70000 tests over the course of the season on a total of 1635 people, who were within the bio-bubble.
An average number of times each person had an RT-PCR test was 50 while on an average, a person was tested every 72 hours. The league procurred approximately 26000 N95 masks to be used during the season.
ISL organisers rented three stadiums – Fatorda Stadium, GMC Stadium in Bambolim and Tilak Maidan in Vasco, along with eighth practice grounds for the first two months. Refurbishment of all those grounds, security and housekeeping, floodlight and generators, ended up costing the league INR 20 crore.
Here is ISL 2020-21 in Numbers:
• Teams: 11
• Games: 115
• Duration: 6 (including pre-season)
• Goals: 298
• Average Goal per Match: 2.59
• Broadcast: 80 territories across Asia, Australia, USA, Canada, Europe
HEALTH & SAFETY PROTOCOLS
• 18 Bio-bubbles created across 14 hotels
• Number of people tested by RT-PCR in Goa: 1635
• Average number of times each person tested by PCR: 50
• Average frequency of testing in days: every 72 Hrs
• Number of total tests done: 70000 approx.
• Number of N95 masks procured by league: 26000 approx.
• Estimated total spend on COVID testing and other related costs: INR 17 Cr
INFRASTRUCTURE BY LEAGUE
• Refurbishment of pitches – 3 stadiums + 8 practice grounds
• Refurbishment / installation of floodlights, usage of generators etc.
• Central security and housekeeping agencies
• Rentals of 3 stadium
• Rentals of 8 practice pitch (first two months)
• Estimate Infrastructure cost taken by the league: INR 20 Cr
ISL DIGITAL ENGAGEMENTS
• Engagement: 175M +
• Video Views: 360M +
• Minutes of Video Content: 4000 mins+
• Two production & broadcast set-ups, one each in Goa and Mumbai
• Approx. 150 member crew
• 19 cameras used for all League stage games
• Additional 2 cameras deployed from Play-Off stage
• Production infrastructure created from scratch at GMC Stadium Bambolim & Tilak Maidan Vasco.
• 3 OB kits and 2 broadcast teams were used for entire duration.