Iron rod passed through this man's skull, he miraculously survived

Ayushi Chamoli


Iron rod passed through this man

18 Apr 2019: Iron rod passed through this man's skull, he miraculously survived

A 21-year-old construction worker, Sanjay Bahe, miraculously survived even though an iron rod went straight through his skull yesterday.

The freak accident occurred in Balaghat district of Madhya Pradesh when he was climbing up but fell 35 feet, as the scaffolding in the well he had finished digging gave away.

Bahe was rushed to a nearby hospital in Gondia, Maharashtra, in a conscious state.

Details: Bahe did not suffer any blood loss, says head surgeon

Bahe, who did not suffer any major blood loss, was later transferred to a specialty hospital in Nagpur, Maharashtra.

In a statement, Dr. Pramod Giri, who led the team of neurosurgeons that performed the 90-minute surgery in Nagpur, told NDTV, "The rod went all the way from the right temporal bone to the left frontal bone without damaging any major blood vessel."

Action: Surgery performed with all caution to protect surrounding structure

Although he was brought in a conscious state to the hospital, the doctors informed that Bahe was in "hypotensive shock."

Dr. Giri said, "So we corrected the shock and took the patient for surgery." The team did not administer anesthesia to Bahe.

"I performed the surgery with all caution so that damage to the surrounding structures shouldn't happen," he informed.

Fact: Bahe laid the iron rods just moments before the accident

Dr. Giri further said, "Giving anesthesia to the patient in such cases is difficult. We did right by positioning the intubation to maintain vital channels in the brain during operation." Notably, Bahe laid the iron rods in the well just moments before the accident.

Post-op: Bahe is likely to be discharged by this week

After the rod was extracted from his skull, Bahe regained consciousness and is out of danger.

Although he is likely to be discharged this week, doctors are observing him for meningitis.

Dr. Gill said, "Complication that can take place in such cases is causing meningitis to the patient. Fortunately, he is doing fine after the surgery, and we are taking care to prevent meningitis."

Fact: What is Meningitis?

As per the website of Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, meningitis is an inflammation (swelling) of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. A bacterial or viral infection of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord usually causes the swelling.