Indian Army Chief General Bipin Rawat arrived in Dhaka today commencing his three-day visit to Bangladesh.
Major General Ataul Hakim Sarwar Hasan, Logistic Area Commander of Bangladesh Army, received the four-member Indian Army delegation led by General Bipin, who was accompanied by his wife.
The delegation was received at the Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) base Bangabandhu, at Kurmitola today morning, an ISPR release said.
Here's what you need to know:
- During the visit, the Indian Army Chief will pay courtesy call to President M Abdul Hamid, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, chief of three services and Principal Staff Officer of the armed forces.
- General Rawat will also address the student officers at the National Defence College, Mirpur.
- Apart from this, he will visit some military establishments including a war field of the Liberation War in 1971.
- The Indian Army Chief shares a historic association with the Bangladesh War of Liberation as his battalion, 5/11 GR, had fought with distinction in the Northern Bangladesh.
- They had also participated in battles at Pirganj, Goraghat, Gobindganj Saulakandi, Mahasthan Bridge and Bogra.
- The Indian army delegation is expected to return home on April 2.
- Considering the importance of India-Bangladesh bilateral ties, the Army chief decided to visit Bangladesh first in his maiden international tour after assuming office.
- General Rawat will visit Nepal next, where he will be conferred with the honorary title of 'General of Nepal Army' by President Bidhya Devi Bhandari.