Gurugram (Haryana) [India], Apr 18 (ANI): Five Karate players from Gurugram have made India proud as the country scooped three gold, two silver and six bronze medals at the US Open Karate Championship in Las Vegas, which was held from April 12 to 16.
The prestigious annual Karate event saw participation of 2374 participants from 42 countries.
The Indian team, led by Sensei Yashpal Singh Kalsi, a world-renowned martial artist from Gurugram, won a total of 11 medals.
Yashpal himself had won the gold medal in the US Open Karate Championship in 2016 and this year again he won a bronze medal.
The Indian team participants---Abhishek Sengupta, Rantej Singh, Harcharan Singh Chowhan and Shaifali Agarwal---train under Sensei Yahspal Singh Kalsi at Sanshinkan International in Gurugram.
Excited by this performance Sensei Yashpal Singh Kalsi said, "I am extremely proud of Indian team, it's a fantastic feeling to win medal for our country, I am sure this will inspire more people back in India"
The team was selected and approved by Karate Association of India, which is the only, recognized national Karate body, Bharat Sharma General Secretary of the association had wished the team good luck.
Here are the results of Team India:
• Shaifali Agarwal- Gold (Kata), Silver (Kumite)
• Abhishek Sengupta -Gold (Kata), Silver(Kumite)
• Yashpal Singh Kalsi-Bronze (Kata)
• Rantej Singh-Bronze (Kata), Bronze (Kumite)
• Harcharan Singh Chowhan-Bronze (Kata),Bronze (Kumite)
• Team Kata Event (18 years to 35 years), Gold
Harcharan Singh Chowhan
• Team Kata event (35 to 44 years advance), Bronze