India, China to hold fifth round of disengagement talks today

Siddhant Pandey


India, China to hold fifth round of disengagement talks today

02 Aug 2020: India, China to hold fifth round of disengagement talks today

India and China will hold the fifth round of talks focusing on disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in Eastern Ladakh on Sunday.

Reportedly, the meeting will be held at 11 am on the Chinese side of the Chushul-Moldo side of the border personnel meeting (BPM) point.

Border tensions in the region have remained tense since the two sides faced-off in early May.

Details: India 'did not insist' on next round of talks earlier

Earlier, India "did not insist" on the next round of talks between 14 Corps commander Lt General Harinder Singh and South Xinjiang Military District chief Major General Liu Lin on July 30 as initially proposed due to China's "continuing intransigence" on the ground, The Times of India reported.

The meeting was then reportedly scheduled after China called for one late Saturday evening.

Disengagement: Chinese troops still present in Depsang Plains, Gogra, Fingers region

Earlier on Thursday, India had said that the disengagement process along the LAC has not been completed, although some progress has been made. This was in contrast to China's claims that the process had been completed at most locations along the border.

India had said that Chinese troops are still present Depsang Plains region, Gogra, and the Fingers region along the Pangong Lake.

Tensions: India, China border has remained tensed since May

Tensions between India and China had escalated nearly three months ago when hundreds of soldiers engaged in a violent face-off on the intervening night of May 5 and 6 near Pangong Tso lake.

The two sides were then locked in a bitter standoff at multiple locations until tensions escalated further on June 15 when the forces faced off again in Galwan Valley.

Fact: 20 Indian soldiers martyred in June 15 clash

On the Indian side, 20 soldiers were martyred in the June 15 clash. China also confirmed that it had suffered casualties, however, it has not officially confirmed the toll yet. Reports in the Indian media pegged that China suffered over 40 casualties.

Aftermath: Disengagement talks have continued over past few weeks

Since the clashes, there have been several rounds of diplomatic and military talks.

Earlier on July 5, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi had held a nearly two-hour-long telephonic conversation over the conflict.

The two had agreed on expeditious withdrawal of troops along the LAC. The disengagement process was commenced from July 6 from friction points along the LAC.


Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting.