India's DGMO to Pakistan on mutilation of soldiers: Dastardly, inhuman act beyond norms of civility

The Indian Army has vowed an "appropriate" response to the "despicable act" of beheading and mutilating the bodies of Naib Subedar Paramjeet Singh of 22 Sikh Infantry.

In a hotline conversation a day after Pakistani forces beheaded two Indian soldiers, the Indian Directors General of Military Operations (DGMO) today told his Pakistani counterpart that the act was "dastardly and inhuman" and "beyond any norm of civility".

"Mutilating bodies of soldiers is dastardly and inhuman act beyond any norm of civility. The act invites unequivocal condemnation and response," the Indian commander said.

The Indian Army has already vowed an "appropriate" response to the "despicable act" of beheading and mutilating the bodies of Naib Subedar Paramjeet Singh of 22 Sikh Infantry and Head Constable Prem Sagar of 200th Battalion of BSF on Sunday.

The Pakistan army has denied that it was involved in the attack or the mutilation of the Indian soldiers.

India has accused Pakistan's Border Action Team (BAT) of giving cover to militants along the Line of Control (LoC). "There was full fire by Pakistan Army post located in the vicinity of the incident site," the DGMO said.

Under the cover of heavy rocket and mortar fire, the BAT had sneaked 250 meters across the Line of Control into the Poonch sector in Jammu and Kashmir and beheaded the two soldiers on Monday morning.


There have been several BAT attacks in the past in which jawans have been beheaded or their bodies mutilated.

On October 28, 2016, militants attacked a post and killed an Indian army soldier and mutilated his body close to the Line of Control (LoC) in the Machil sector. In January 2013, Lance Naik Hemraj was killed and his body mutilated by BAT. It also beheaded Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh. Constable Rajinder Singh of the BSF suffered injuries in the attack.

In June 2008, a soldier of the 2/8 Gorkha Rifles lost his way and was captured by BAT in Kel sector. His body was found beheaded after a few days.

During the 1999 Kargil conflict, Captain Saurabh Kalia was tortured by his Pakistani captors who later handed over his mutilated body to India.

In February, 2000, terrorist Ilyas Kashmiri had led a raid on the Indian army's 'Ashok Listening Post' in the Nowshera sector and killed seven Indian soldiers. Even then, Kashmiri had taken back to Pakistan the head of a 24-year-old Indian jawan Bhausaheb Maruti Talekar of the 17 Maratha Light Infantry.


Pakistan mutilates Indian soldiers: How will the Army respond?


India hits back after jawans mutilated on LoC; Army kills 7 Pakistani soldiers, destroys 2 enemy bunkers

Pakistan mutilates bodies of 2 Indian soldiers near LoC, Army pounds Pak posts in retaliation