Hillary Clinton, speaking with BBC Radio 5 Live, came to the defense of Meghan Markle as the Duchess of Sussex deals with being in the public eye and touched upon her own experience of public scrutiny. The former secretary of state also talked about the possibility of running for president again, stating that "many, many, many people" have encouraged her to enter the 2020 race.
On Tuesday, in a conversation with host Emma Barnett as part of a publicity tour for The Book of Gutsy Women, co-authored with daughter Chelsea Clinton, Hillary did not entirely rule out tossing her hat into ring for the 2020 election.
“I, as I say, never, never, never say never. I will certainly tell you, I’m under enormous pressure from many, many, many people to think about it," Hillary said.
However, the 2016 Democratic candidate did clarify that currently, she has no plans to run.
“As of this moment, sitting here in this studio talking to you, that is absolutely not in my plans," she said.
Hillary, who has long been under the public eye for both her political career andvher personal life, also spoke candidly about the Duchess of Sussex's difficulties with the British press.
“Oh my God, I want to hug her!” the former First Lady said.
“I feel as a mother I just want to put my arms around her,” she continued. “I want to tell her to hang in there, don’t let those bad guys get you down. Keep going, do what you think is right.”
Hillary, who previously quoted Eleanor Roosevelt and suggested that "women in politics or public roles should grow skin like a rhinoceros," also provided sage advice to Markle.
“You know, it’s not easy. And there are some techniques that can be learned along the way — some humor, some deflection, whatever, which I’m sure she will come to. But it is tough what she is going through," Hillary said. "And I think she deserves a lot better.”
In October, Prince Harry and Markle announced that they were suing British tabloids for their "ruthless campaign" against Markle after the Daily Mail on Sunday published a private letter from the Duchess to her estranged father, Thomas Markle. In a statement released by Prince Harry, the couple revealed that they have "initiated legal proceedings" against the publication as well as its parent company, Associated Newspaper, for "the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018."
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle: