Former Indian cricketer Mohammad Kaif celebrates his birthday on December 1 (Sunday). Kaif, who is known for his fabulous fielding skills, turns 39 years old. Mohammad Kaif is a very popular cricketer in India due to his role in India's victory over England in Natwest Series 2002. He helped Indian team to defeat England in the epic Natwest series 2002 finale. Kaif smashed an unbeaten 87 run-knock as India chased down 326 runs while batting second. Kaif also played for the Indian team in ICC World Cup 2003, in which India was the runner-up. As Mohammad Kaif celebrates his birthday, here we look at some lesser-known things to know about him.
Mohammad Kaif played for Indian team from 2000 to 2006. He made his Test debut in March 2002 in a match against South Africa. He played his first ODI In January 2002 against England. He also played for Kings XI Punjab and Royal Challengers Bangalore in Indian Premier League tournaments. Below are five lesser-known things to know about Mohammad Kaif.
1. Mohammad Kaif hails from Allahabad city of Uttar Pradesh.
2. He began his cricket career while playing for Green Park, a hostel situated in Kanpur city inn Uttar Pradesh.
3. His father Mohammad Tarif Ansari played for Railways cricket team and Uttar Pradesh cricket team.
4. Kaif's brother Mohammad Saif is also a cricketer. He plays for Madhya Pradesh cricket team and Uttar Pradesh cricket team.
5. Kaif's wife Puja Yadav is a journalist. The couple tied the knot on March 25, 2011.
Kaif, who used to wear jersey no. 11 while playing in ODIs, had a short but spectacular career. In his six years of playing cricket, he set a new standard of fielding for Indian cricket. Currently, he is an active commentator.