Former Kabaddi player Anup Kumar celebrates his birthday on Wednesday (November 20). He turns 36 years old. Anup Kumar is a popular name in the sport of Kabaddi in India. he played kabaddi from 2006 to 2018. He was the captain of Indian Kabaddi team. He is known as a powerful raider who was the master of bagging bonus points in raiding. He also led U Mumba team to Pro Kabaddi League title in the second edition of PKL. As Anup Kumar celebrates his birthday, here we will look at some lesser-known things to know about him. Captain Cool Anup Kumar Retires from Kabaddi.
Anup Kumar hails from Gurgaon district of Haryana. He played kabaddi since his schooldays and eventually developed his love for the game. In Pro Kabaddi League tournaments, he played with U Mumba in five editions. In PKL 2018, he played with Jaipur Pink Panthers. After a comparatively weak show in PKL 2018, he retired from the sport. He led the Puneri Paltans team as a coach in PKL 2019. PKL 2019: Pune Coach Anup Kumar Learning Art of Managing Team from Sidelines.
Lesser-Known Things to Know About Anup Kumar
- Anup Kumar won gold medals at the Asian Games 2010 and Asian Games 2014.
- He is known as nickname 'Captain Cool' due to his brilliant captaincy and sportsmanship in the sport of Kabaddi.
- In April 2005, he joined CRPF as a constable.
- He is Deputy Commissioner of Police in his native State of Haryana.
- He was conferred the Arjuna Award in 2012 for his achievements in Kabaddi.
Anup Kumar was also known as 'Bonus ka Baadshah' for extraordinary skills in taking bonus points. During the first few seasons of PKL, he was a spectacular player who had the ability to turn the tides in his team's favour. He is regarded as one of the greatest players to play kabaddi in India.