Johannesburg [South Africa], Apr.11 (ANI): Three-time world champion Lewis Hamilton has quashed the speculations that Mercedes will be signing McLaren driver Fernando Alonso for the 2018 season.
Alonso, who won the last of his two championships with Renault more than a decade ago, is in the final season of his three-year deal with McLaren.
Meanwhile, McLaren's woes continued even in the Chinese Grand Prix on Sunday as the British team recorded a double DNF.
The latest DNF has thrown more fuel on fire over Alonso's probable move to Mercedes as he seeks a competitive drive and a third World title.
However, Hamilton ruled out the same and said that the move is not on cards.
"It's not going to happen," Sport24 quoted Hamilton as saying.
The German driver further backed his new team-mate Valtteri Bottas, who Hamilton believes would continue to remain in the team despite having signed only a one-year deal.
"Valtteri is fantastic here at the team. He was very, very fast at the last race [Australia].He has obviously got a lot of potential and a lot of growth to go, but it is all about finding the right balance in the team. So far Valtteri and I have a great balance and the scales weigh up nicely," Hamilton said. (ANI)