Hafiz Saeed, 4 other JuD men presented before Lahore High Court in detention review

1 / 1

Hafiz Saeed, 4 other JuD men presented before Lahore High Court in detention review

The review board of Lahore High Court scrutinising Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed and four other JuD members' detention plea today suggested they remain under house-arrest for some more time.

Jamat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief and Mumbai attacks mastermind Hafiz Saeed and four other members of his organisation were presented today before Lahore High Court, which is reviewing their detention following Pakistan government's withdrawal of terrorism charges against them.

The review board has suggested they remain in detention for some more time. It is expected that they will be presented before the court again in two days. The JuD chief and his four aides were placed under house arrest in January under the Anti-Terrorism Act.

On Sunday, Pakistani authorities withdrew terrorism charges against Saeed and his group, paving way for the possible release of the UN, the US and India-designated terrorist for his involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

The JuD has already been declared a foreign terrorist organisation by the United States in June 2014. The JuD chief carries a reward of USD 10 million announced by the US for his role in terror activities.

Last week, the Lahore High Court had warned that it would end Saeed's house arrest if the Pakistani government doesn't submit evidence against him, prompting a strong reaction from India.

On Monday, India said the withdrawal of terror charges against the Mumbai attacks mastermind reflects the lack of will on the part of Pakistan to fulfil its international obligation to take effective action against proscribed terrorists.

"It is surprising that instead of prosecuting him for heading and directing a terrorist organisation, Pakistan is simply putting him in a house arrest for maintenance of public law and order... Such duplicitous actions need condemnation from all quarters," a government source told PTI.

Saeed is accused by India of masterminding the Mumbai terror attack of November 2008 which left 166 Indians and foreigners dead. New Delhi has repeatedly urged Islamabad to punish him for the massacre.