Gurugram judge's son declared brain dead | Key updates
The 18-year-old son of additional sessions judge of Gurugram Krishan Kant has been declared brain dead. He has been put on life support system. The judge's wife had succumbed to bullet injuries in hospital on Sunday. They had been shot by the judge's personal security officer, Mahipal, on Saturday.
Judge Krishan Kant's wife Ritu was 38. His son Dhruv is 18. They were shot at by the security officer in the crowded Arcadia market area in Gurugram's Sector 49 around 3.30 pm on Saturday. The two were taken to the hospital immediately.
Here are the key updates:
- Regional Medical Officer Pawan Choudhary said that the post-mortem examination revealed that Ritu died due to excessive bleeding. She had suffered two gunshot wounds on the right side and middle of her chest, Chaudhary said. Their son, Dhruv, was shot in the head.
- Mahipal has been sent to four-days' police custody. A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been set up to probe the case. The police had sought a week's custody to interrogate Mahipal extensively.
- According to a senior police officer, Mahipal is frequently changing his statements and becomes furious whenever he is questioned. He said he was depressed due to family problems. The accused was not happy with the behavior of the judge's family. He was upset due to frequent fights with Ritu, which was confirmed by his neighbours in the police lines, the officer said. He was often scolded by the judge as well, said one of the officers.
- On Saturday, the judge's wife scolded him inside the car when they were going to the market. The officer said, he harboured a grudge against the judge. Kant said in a statement that after committing the crime, Mahipal informed him about the incident.
- Mahipal was a constable with the Haryana Police. He had been posted as personal security guard of the judge for last two years. He had been demanding leaves to go home but was denied.
- Ritu's family members had earlier decided to take her body to Hisar, her native city, for cremation. They later returned to the Medanta hospital to donate her organs.
Also Read | Judge's wife, son shot at by his security guard in Gurgaon's busy market