Four injured in fire at cylinder godown in Mumbai

·1-min read

(Eds: Updating) Mumbai, Feb 10 (PTI) Four people were injured on Wednesday morning after a major fire broke out in a godown in suburban Andheri which caused LPG cylinders stored there to explode, officials said, adding some neighbourhood houses also suffered damage.

The blaze erupted around 9.40 am due to a cylinder blast in the godown located on Yari Road in Versova area of the western suburb, they said.

Four people were injured and they taken to the nearby Cooper Hospital, officials said, adding that the fire was put out after four hours around 1.30 pm.

Two of the four injured persons sustained 40 per cent burns while another two sustained 60 per cent injuries.

A civic official said 16 fire brigade vehicles, including water jetties, were used for fire fighting.

According to officials, several LPG cylinders were stored in the godown and many of them burst while the blaze was being doused.

The explosions caused panic in the area.

Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar and deputy Mayor Suhas Wadkar visited the spot and later Cooper Hospital.

The mayor also spoke to the residents whose houses suffered damage in the fire, and directed officials to pay them suitable compensation.

'It is wrong to store cooking gas cylinders in a residential area which poses risk to the life of people. A probe will be conducted and a strict action will be taken against the guilty,' the mayor said.

She also appealed to the citizens to report any illegal storage of highly-inflammable materials to the Mayor's office, and assured action.

A standard procedure will soon be put in place to avoid such incidents in future, Pednekar added. PTI KK GK NSK NSK