The third floor of a building in the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras campus was completely charred from the outside after a major fire broke out on Wednesday night.
According to a report on The Fifth Estate, the website of IIT Madras's student media body, the fire broke out at the IC&SR (Industrial Consultancies and Sponsored Research) building at around 9 pm.
The fire, which is suspected to have been sparked due to a short circuit, was doused only only after midnight.
There were no casualties in the fire, The Fifth Estate said , adding that the full extent of the damage due to the fire was yet to be understood.
At least five fire tenders were involved in dousing the flames, according to news agency PTI, which confirmed that there had been no casualties.