Union Minister Babul Supriyo has been appointed vice-president of the FIFA U-17 World Cup organizing committee.
"Have appointed my friend and great football fan as Vice President of the U17 World Cup Organising Committee. Welcome aboard @SuPriyoBabul!," All India Football Federation (AIFF) president Praful Patel, who is the chairman of Local Organising Committee, tweeted.
The singer-turned-politician thanked Patel for the appointment.
"Thank U so much @praful_patel ji fr making me the VicePresident of the U-17 FIFA World Cup Organising Committee SuperExcited for football&me," Supriyo wrote on his twitter handle.
The showpiece event, to be hosted by India for the first time, will be played from October 6 to 28.
The draw of the tournament will be held on July 7.
A FIFA team is scheduled to visit India from March 21 to 27 for the final inspection of the facilities in the six cities which will host matches of the U-17 World Cup.
- Champions league: Barcelona annihilate Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 to register historic victory
- I-League: East Bengal look to seal double against Churchill Brothers
- Luis Norton de Matos will coach India in U-17 World Cup. Here's who he is
- Champions League: Atletico Madrid beat Leverkusen 4-2 in first leg
- Champions League: Lionel Messi's last minute penalty help Barcelona beat Leganes 2-1