Farrukhabad operation lasted for around 8 hrs, accused threatened to carry out blast: UP Police

Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) [India], Jan 31 (ANI): Uttar Pradesh DGP OP Singh said that the rescue operation in Farrukhabad, where a man held hostage more than 15 children at a house, lasted for around eight hours.

Singh told media persons here that the accused was killed and was threatening to carry out a blast.

"The operation lasted for around eight hours. We tried to engage him constructively through talks but we got information that he had firing capability and there was a possibility that he had explosives in his possession. He was threatening to carry out a blast," he said.

The Uttar Pradesh DGP also said that the accused's wife was injured in the incident.

All the children have been safely evacuated, Uttar Pradesh Additional Chief Secretary and Principal Secretary Home, Awanish Kumar Awasthi said.

"The person who was holding the children as hostages has been killed in an operation and all children have been safely evacuated," he said.

"Chief Minister (Yogi Adityanath) has announced an award of Rs 10 lakhs for the Uttar Pradesh Police and its team that successfully carried out the operation. All personnel who took part in operation will be given a certificate of appreciation," Awasthi added.

Uttar Pradesh ADG Law and Order PV Ramashastry earlier said that the accused had been sentenced to life imprisonment in a murder case and he was out on a bail.

"He had called the children on the pretext of a birthday party and held them hostage. He opened fire on villagers. DM, SSP, and Police forces are present near his house. Quick Response Team (QRT) and Special Operation Group (SOG) team are there. Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) is on its way. It is being said that around 20 children are inside," he had said. (ANI)