Phil Neville's side were due to face the two-time world champions in a behind-closed-doors fixture at the Brita-Arena in Wiesbaden on Tuesday evening (October 27).
However, that contest has now been called off, while England's players will all now immediately return to their clubs after a training camp at St. George’s Park was halted early.
In a statement to explain the cancellation, the Football Association (FA) pointed out that, under current Covid-19 regulations, any person that tests positive for coronavirus while visiting Germany is required to self-isolate in the country for 14 days.
"We cannot take the risk that this may happen to a player or member of England staff," the FA said.
The friendly against Germany would have been England's first match for seven months, with football's previous coronavirus shutdown - which led to the 2021 European Championship in England being delayed until 2022 - meaning the team have not played since their third-place finish at the SheBelievesCup in the United States in March.
Neville's players were able to gather for a week-long training camp last month, though their next scheduled fixture is now not until December, when they face Norway at Sheffield United's Bramall Lane.
“While we all wanted to play Tuesday’s game, this was absolutely the right course of action," said Neville, who will be replaced by Dutch coach Sarina Wiegman next year.
"I thank Germany’s staff for their understanding and our FA colleagues for their support.
“I know the fans were hoping to see us play again but I am sure they will understand the decision.
"We have still had a good week of training and are looking forward to getting together next month before our match against Norway in Sheffield.”