Cairo, July 18: A suicide bombing claimed by the Islamic State group targeting Egyptian security forces in the Sinai Peninsula killed two people including a civilian on Thursday, medical and security sources said.
The attack hit forces stationed near a parking lot in the city of Sheikh Zuweid in North Sinai, the sources told AFP. One member of the security forces was killed and three others were wounded, while a civilian also died in the bombing, they said. Sri Lanka Blasts: Nine Pakistani Nationals Arrested in Connection With Suicide Bombings.
The armed forces confirmed in a statement one of their soldiers had been killed in the assault, without mentioning the civilian or other casualties. In an online statement, the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack. North Sinai has long been a hotbed of Islamist insurgents mostly affiliated to IS. Last year, Egypt launched a massive offensive mainly with the aim of wiping out the militants in the turbulent region.
Hundreds of militants have been killed along with dozens of soldiers, according to official figures which cannot be verified as Sinai is largely cut off to journalists and independent investigators.