DUSU election 2017: Setback to ABVP, NSUI makes comeback after 5 years
Almost after five years, the student wing of Indian National Congress, National Students' Union of India (NSUI) has clinched 3 out of 4 posts including President's post in Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) elections of this year.
Congress-backed National Students Union of India (NSUI) has made a stunning comeback by winning the top posts of president and vice-president in the DUSU elections.
In the election results which were announced on Wednesday, RSS-backed Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) had to satisfy with secretary and joint secretary positions.
NSUI's Rocky Tuseed won the president's position by defeating ABVP's Rajat Choudhary with a margin of 1,590 votes, while new vice-president Kunal Sehrawat snatched the seat from ABVP by 175 votes.
ABVP's Mahamedha Nagar defeated NSUI's Minakshi Meena by 2,624 votes to win the post of secretary while Uma Shankar set aside NSUI's Avinash Yadav by 342 votes.
NSUI, who won the president position after 2012, expressed the happiness on Twitter after the overwhelming victory.
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi hailed the Congress ideology and congratulated the union on Twitter.
Amidst the elections, the interesting angle that emerged was that of NOTA, which was pressed more than 5,000 times in president's election.
-With ANI inputs.
- Amit Shah has lunch at BJP worker's house
- Japanese PM Shinzo Abe, PM Modi take part in road show from Ahmedabad Airport to Sabarmati Aashram
- Mayawati wants Centre to take sympathetic view of Rohingyas
- Lalu never wanted to be part of grand alliance, Nitish requested him: Sharad Yadav
- Ryan murder case: Blood on floor was wiped off, claims security guard of Ryan International School