Donald Trump Appoints Robert C O'Brien as New US NSA, Days After 'Sacking' John Bolton

Team Latestly

Washington, September 18: Days after "sacking" John Bolton, United States President Donald Trump on Wednesday announced the appointment of Robert C O'Brien as the new National Security Advisor (NSA). O'Brien is currently serving in the State Department, as is charged of Hostage Affairs. His appointment as the NSA will further strengthen the American security grid, the President said.

Also Read | 'Howdy Economy': Rahul Gandhi Jabs PM Narendra Modi Over 'Howdy, Modi' Event in Houston

"I am pleased to announce that I will name Robert C. O’Brien, currently serving as very successful Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs at State Department, as our new National Security Advisor," Trump said.

On Twitter, the President further added that he shares a long experience of working with O'Brien and believes that he would do a "great job" with his new role.

Also Read | Howdy, Modi: Houston Mayor Welcomes Indian Community to Attend PM Modi's Mega Event With Slumdog Millionaire's 'Jai Ho' Song GIF

See Donald Trump's Tweet Here:


Bolton, a veteran member of the US defence establishment, quit the White House last week in a shock manner. In the statement issued by his office, the 70-year-old said he is resigning for personal reasons. However, President Trump contradicted him by claiming that Bolton was "asked to quit".

Notably, Trump and Bolton did not share the same views on an array of issues, particularly the strife with North Korea and Iran. The latter was in favour of a full-fledged war with both the nation, claiming that they pose a massive threat to the US and its foreign interests.

Trump, whom analysts have described as one of the most pacifist US Presidents in recent times, did not agree with Bolton's alleged war-mongering views. For instance, he played down the recent missile tests by Pyongyang while Bolton described them as alarming.

Similarly, Bolton was in favour of launching military strikes on Iran following the downing of an American military drone. Trump, on the other hand, exercised restraint despite his hard rhetoric. Officials in the White House have told reporters that he has still kept the option of talks with counterpart Hassan Rouhani open at the sidelines of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).