AAP Office of Profit Crisis LIVE: 20 MLAs facing disqualification get no relief from Delhi High Court
Almost a week after Delhi Congress President Ajay Maken met CEC Achal Kumar Joti and demanded the disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs holding office-of-profit, the EC today said that the MLAs are indeed unfit to hold office.
The Election Commission said that all 20 party MLAs are unfit to continue as legislators and sent its recommendation to President Ram Nath Kovind.
Soon after, AAP hit back saying that it will challenge the EC decision since the views of the MLAs have not been taken into consideration.
Addressing a press conference after the Election Commission sent its report to the President of India, Ajay Maken demanded Delhi Chief Minister's resignation on moral grounds.
He said, "We will march into Arvind Kejriwal's office on Monday at 11am and demand his resignation."
Further adding, "He (Delhi CM Kejriwal) has no moral authority to continue as the chief minister since half of his cabinet is filled with corrupt legislators."
- Delhi High Court refuses to grant interim relief to Aam Aadmi Party MLAs in Office of Profit case
- 6 AAP MLAs approach Delhi High Court challenging EC recommendations. They are demanding a stay on the same. Delhi High Court will hear hear the matter urgently. Hearing will start any moment.
- BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra in a media address said, "AAP started their political inning on fight against corruption. This party emerged after Anna movement. Morality and Kejriwal has no comparison."
- Kejriwal simultaneously calls a meeting of Delhi Jal Board.
- A high level meet is currently underway at chief minister Arvind Kejriwal's house.
- AAP MLA Jarnail Singh (Jr), who is recommended to be disqualified has reached the ECI.
- AAP leader Saurab Bharadwaj said, "I want to ask if people from constituencies of these MLAs have seen them utilising government facilities like car, house or salary. No hearing has been held before EC until now."
- AAP senior leader Ashutosh tweets:
EC SHOULD NOT BE THE LETTER BOX OF THE PMO.. but that is a reality today.— ashutosh (@ashutosh83B) January 19, 2018
- AAP MLA Madan Lal approaches Delhi High Court in anticipation of the expected EC order.
- BJP National Secretary RP Singh also demanded that Arvind Kejriwal steps down from his chief ministerial post. He also demanded immediate fresh election in the national capital.
- Chief Election Commissioner A K Joti said since the matter is sub judice, he would not offer any comment on the issue.