Delhi's 'Baba ka Dhaba' owner discharged from hospital

·2-min read

New Delhi, Jun 25 (PTI) South Delhi eatery 'Baba ka Dhaba' owner Kanta Prasad has returned home after being discharged from the Safdarjung hospital, police said on Friday.

Prasad, 81, attempted suicide on June 17, police had earlier said.

He had consumed alcohol and sleeping pills following which he was admitted to the hospital, police officials had said.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (south) Atul Kumar Thakur said Prasad returned home after being discharged from the hospital on Thursday and is currently taking rest at his home.

Prasad told the police that he was getting calls from various people asking him to apologise to YouTuber Gaurav Wasan, said a senior officer.

Prasad felt depressed and took the extreme step, the senior police officer said, adding that no case has been registered in this matter so far.

'I was discharged on Thursday. I just want Wasan to stay happy and leave us on our own,' Prasad said after coming back home.

However, Wasan told PTI that he has no idea who all were calling Prasad.

'How would I know who was calling him and asking him to apologise to me? When I saw him on the media apologising (to me), I went to meet him. He was saying sorry to me. I felt bad and asked him not to say so as he is elder than me.

'I never blamed him and said anything against him. I have also uploaded a video on my social media handle when I met him last time at his dhaba,' Wasan said.

On June 17, the police received information from the Safdarjung Hospital that Prasad had been admitted there.

The police reached the hospital and collected the MLC (medico-legal case) which mentions intake of alcohol and sleeping pills as the cause of unconsciousness.

The statement of Prasad's son Karan was recorded. He said said in the statement that his father consumed alcohol along with sleeping pills.

Prasad shot into the limelight last year when a video of him tearfully talking about the lack of customers at his eatery and his financial woes went viral, triggering an outpouring of support in cash and kind from all over the country. The video was shot and uploaded by Wasan.

Later, the octogenarian filed a complaint against Wasan for alleged misappropriation of funds raised through donations.

Prasad went on to open a restaurant. However, he faced losses and had to shut it down. Recently, Prasad returned to his 'dhaba' and apologised to Wasan. The YouTuber visited Prasad and accepted his apology. PTI NIT NIT TDS TDS

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting